On Tue, 2012-04-03 at 22:40 +0200, ольга крыжановская wrote:
> Philippe, libast provides both malloc replacement and a complex
> allocation system based on io streams, e.g.sort of stdio with
> disciplines on steroids where even string buffers, or lists and trees
> of (nested)  string buffers, can be a io stream or memory buffer.
>
> Is it really wise to modify valgrind just to intercept the custom
> malloc/calloc/memalign/free implementation? It sounds like an over
> kill and might be problematic because we would have to wait until each
> Linux vendor has updated to the new valgrind version.
If valgrind is not informed that libast has malloc/free/...
replacements, then many/most valgrind tools are less functional
(e.g. memcheck will not detect leaks).

So, if your application is using the malloc/free/... of libast
rather than the "standard" malloc/free, I think it is a good idea
to have the replacements done.

Now, I do not understand why you would have to wait until each Linux
vendor has updated to the new valgrind version.
Just do the changes, and have your valgrind compiled in a corner :).
(in addition, I am not sure a libast replacement patch for Valgrind
would be committed).

For what concerns the complex allocation system: if this system is doing
a direct usage of libast malloc/free/..., then the replacements
above will be good enough.
If this complex allocation system is malloc-ing or mmap-ing a big block,
and then does its own "small blocks" from these big blocks, then you
have to add Valgrind mempool client requests in the libast code
to have Valgrind understanding this complex allocation system.

Philippe