On Fri, 2012-05-04 at 17:32 +0000, Oliver Schneider wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I've got a question about Valgrind and its Memcheck tool. Is it possible
> to take a snapshot of a program under Valgrind, kinda similar to the way
> a fork() clones the process space, and then continue again from that
> snapshot with Valgrind? Could fork() perhaps be the answer?
This is not possible with Valgrind.
Having a fully general "snapshot" solution looks close to impossible
 e.g. you have to re-create the exact "system state":
    opened files and seek position
    tcp/ip connections
    pwd

The closest to what you describe here that I know of is the "unexec"
feature of emacs: emacs is first compiled, it has no lisp loaded.
As part of the build, it then loads a whole bunch of lisp files
and then "unexec" itself (i.e. creates a dumped executable)
After that, the dumped file is the one which is installed, with
loaded lisp files being part of the initialised data.

So, I guess you better work in that direction (or have a data
structure that you can e.g. dump to a file to just mmap at startup).

Philippe