> helgrind can't really know which task is being removed from the waiting list
> and
> so decrmenting nWaiters is all it does (I think).

I think it does a lot more (otherwise helgrind could not follow at all what
would
happen with cond variables).
See e.g. pthread_cond_wait_WRK

> Also, does anyone have a clever idea about how to debug this situation?
As mentionned previously, if you use vgdb, it should be trivial to find which
thread is doing what.
E.g. do in a GDB attached to the Valgrind embedded gdbserver:
   thread apply all bt

The stack traces will allow to determine which thread is waiting on a cond var.
You can then examine which cond var is being waited upon.

Philippe