On Wed, 2013-02-27 at 09:58 -0800, John Reiser wrote:
> [snip]
>
> > it works with "sleep"  or "ls"  but I does not work when I
> > run my programm.
>
> Run valgrind under strace and inspect all file operations:
>
>   strace -f -o strace.out -e trace=file,close,dup,dup2 \
>       valgrind <options> ./my_app <args>
>
> Look for an extra close(), etc.
You can also start valgrind with some additional tracing options
and compare the difference between a kill -TERM of a sleep 1000
under Valgrind and a kill -TERM of your application.

for example, do:
valgrind --tool=massif -v -v -v -d -d -d --trace-signals=yes sleep 1000

Maybe this gives some light about what goes wrong ...

Philippe