> I am not sure to understand how you will differentiate the above
>     if (a > 0)
>       b = a;
>     else
>       b = 0;
>
> from
>     if (a > 0) {
>       b = a;
>       launch_all_missiles();
>     } else
>       b = 0;

Because the first paragraph is equivalent to "b = max(0, a);"
which has relatively simple semantics, but the second paragraph is not.

As I pointed out to the list 2 days ago, if the x86* code is:
        mov $0, r_b
        cmp $0, r_a
        cmovg r_a, r_b  # conditional move if > 0; r_a to r_b
then it is somewhat easy to convince VEX to set state(b) = state(a)
without complaint (when condition code bits indicate > 0.)

If the compiled code uses explicit branching, then probably it's hard.
Quite a few analysis tools (covering either software or hardware!)
have [have had] difficulty with re-convergent fan out.