On mardi 4 avril 2023 12:11:18 CEST Nicholas Nethercote wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Apr 2023 at 19:24, David Faure <fa...@kde.org> wrote:
> > But then, with no cache simulation and no call stacks, what's left in
> > `cachegrind --cache-sim=no`?
>
> From the email that started this thread:
>
> If you run with `--cache-sim=no` then the cache simulation is disabled and
> > you just get one event: Ir. (This is "instruction cache reads", which is
> > equivalent to "instructions executed".)

Ah, right, sorry.

So to summarize the big picture:
cachegrind -> instructions count, without call stacks, useful for overall
numbers or with cg_annotate
callgrind -> instructions count, with call stacks, best viewed in kcachegrind

I wish those two could do cycles and not just instructions, but I guess this
requires a good cache simulator again, back to square one ;)
(perf does cycles, but doesn't give exact number of method calls, that's one
benefit of cachegrind/callgrind)

--
David Faure, fa...@kde.org, http://www.davidfaure.fr
Working on KDE Frameworks 5