Thanks for sharing this!

I like the null containment approach. It recognizes that nulls (for better or
worse) are a thing in the ref world but stops the blighters from infecting the
value world at the borders.

We will need to extend this hygiene to javac and the libraries.

Javac could fail to compile when it knows enough, and in other cases place in
explicit null checks if not otherwise performed by existing instructions so as
to fail fast.

Certain APIs that rely on null as a signal will need careful reviewing and
possible adaption if the prevention has some side effects, and maybe
errors/warnings from javac. The poster child being Map.get, but others like
Map.compute are problematic too (if a value is not present for a key, then a
null value is passed to the remapping function). How we proceed might depend on
whether specialized generics progresses at a slower rate rate than value types.

Paul.