----- Mail original -----

use the most super type possible for a parameter is the usual rule hence
"program to an interface", i don't think i'v skipped a lot of steps.

> Perhaps you could clarify this with some examples of “I worry people will
> write
> __ instead of ___, and then __ will happen.”

i worry people will code as we have told them to code.

>> I believe that the issue is that V? should work as a box and currently V? is
>> powerful/useful as a box so people will start to use it as a true type.
>
> Again, lots to unpack here:
>
>  - What, in your mind, is the difference between a box and an adjunction?

not sure to fully understand the question, is it about the syntax ?

>  - What benefits do box types give here?

a box is a necessary evil, everybody want to write an ArrayList<int> but we are
not there yet, so we provide just the right abstraction to deal with value type
in generics, not more.

>   - What risks do you envision from “using V? as a true type”?

V? everywhere where V should be used, or worst, people using V? half of the
time, randomly.

Rémi