Erasure in the generic sense (sorry for the pun) is the way to retcon types as
if they were present since the beginning in Java.
So it fit well with the idea of IdentityObject/PrimitiveObject.

Now, i think there are two kind of erasures, we have classic erasure by the
compiler only like with generics and we have erasure with TypeRestriction which
involve the VM.
Note that the erasure using TypeRestriction does not necessarily implies any
parametric type, this is a separate mechanism.

As you said, classic erasure only supports the first two scenarios, while i
believe that erasure by TypeRestriction support all of them.

> Erasing to Object means that we don't get to do things like overloading:

> m(IdentityObject o) { ... }
> m(PrimitiveObject o) { ... }

> or

> m(IdentityObject o) { ... }
> m(Object o) { ... }
Sadly, this scenario is not supported by both kinds of erasure.

And as i said two weeks ago, erasure by TypeRestriction is also something
interesting for value based classes, at least some of them, the ones that do
not allow null, by example for Optional.
Optional the Q-type can be erased as Optional the L-type everywhere in the
existing method signatures so we have binary backward compatibility at the
price of
- having the VM to lightweight box/unbox at the inlining horizons and
- spurious NPEs where a null is sent as an Optional.

Obviously, this is an incomplete proposal, but i think it's worth to take a
look into that direction.

Rémi