On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 12:09:15AM -0400, pub crawler wrote:
> Hello, new to Varnish.
>
> We have been running Varnish for about 5 days now. So far, excellent product.
>
> We have a potential issue and I haven't seen anything like this before.
>
> We just restarted Varnish - we have a 1GB cache file on disk. When I
> run top, I see Varnish is using :
>
> 10m RES
> 153g VIRT

I'll leave a more detail explanation to PHK or someone more experienced
with the deep magics of a VM, but the 10m is the real memory consumption
which I'm sure top/free can confirm.

Though 153G seem very high for VIRT. What I usually see is VIRT = 2x cache
size, or thereabouts, but that might not be conclusive.

Do you care to paste your startup arguments and parameters?

--
Kristian Lyngstøl
Redpill Linpro AS