On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 10:28 AM Martynas Jusevičius
<marty...@atomgraph.com> wrote:

> Thank you  Dridi.
>
> But what I'm reading here
> https://docs.varnish-software.com/tutorials/cache-invalidation/
> > Unlike purges, banned content won’t immediately be evicted from cache
> > freeing up memory, instead it will either stay in cache until its TTL
> > expires, if we ban on req properties, or it will be evicted by a background
> > thread, called ban_lurker, if we ban on the obj properties
>
> Which means that using your example, if immediately follow up
> PUT/DELETE with a GET, it is not certain to get a fresh copy? Because
> "banned content won’t immediately be evicted from cache"?

That's because bans using req criteria (as opposed to obj) need a
request to happen to test the ban on a given object. And even bans
with obj criteria don't happen immediately, they eventually happen in
the background.

But once a ban is in the list, an object is not served from cache
before confirming that it isn't invalidated by a newer ban during
lookup, so you shouldn't worry about that.

Dridi