There is a report on page A4 [centre] of the Gomantak Times dated 07
September, 2006 titled "DEMAND TO MERGE KONKANI SPEAKING AREAS WITH GOA".
Among the personalities whose names feature in this demand are  "Naguesh
Karmali of Goa", "Ramesh Veluskar, Tukaram Sheth, Dr.R.S.Pikale of Karwar",
"Central Sahitya Academy awardee Mahableshwar Sail and U.B.Kalghutkar of the
Maharashtra Ekikaran Samitee"

As per the report "Speakers from Goa assured the gathering that the issue
will be discussed in the next asembly session of the Goa government." This
has many ramifications for the people of Goa. It is also indicative of the
scheme of the things to come after the "Ek Bhasha, Ek Lipi, Ek Samaj" gains
popular currency. Devanagri may extend the borders of Goa all the way down
to Devangere taluka in Karnataka.

So what is wrong with the Kannadigas now? Or do we want to say that Karwaris
are okay, Bijapuris are not....because most Bijapuris are Muslims and do not
speak Konkani, anyway? We conveniently forget that it was Adil Khan of
Bijapur who drove out the Portuguese under Alphonso the Albuquerque  in the
summer of 1510 A.D. and gloss over the fact that Admiral Timmaji Wagh
Camotim actually aided the colonial process [in the whole of Asia!] by an
European power for the first time ever on 01 March and  again on 25
November, 1510 A.D.! This then is NATIONALISM for us in the 21st century.
Vishal Gomantak.

Interestingly, the first line of the report reads thus, "KARWAR: The
recently formed 'Goa Konkani Ekikaran Committee', at a meeting held in
Konkan Maratha Bhavan in Sadashivgad has demanded that Konkani speaking
areas like Karwar, Sadashivgad and Joida be merged with Goa"

Readers will, no doubt, be aware that the Maharashtra Ekikaran Samiti
[M.E.S.] is agitating for the last 30 years or more [perhaps, since the
re-organisation of the states on linguistic basis since 1969, specially the
present states of Karnataka, A.P. and Maharashtra from the Bombay
Presidency, former kingdom of Mysore and Nizam's Hyderabad] and is
politically active. M.E.S. has quite a few councillors in the Belgaum City
Corporation that had, if I remember correctly,  even resolved to merge with
Maharashtra and was then placed under an administrator by the Karnataka
Government. Karnataka celebrates its Rajyotsav [State Formation Day] on 01
November. The formation of GKEC seems to be timed with that in mind. It is a
time when the border areas are in turmoil due to M.E.S. protests. The
Konkani agitation in Karnataka [Sadashivgad and Karwar are on opposite banks
of the Kali river at the Southern end of Goa as Keri and Tiracol are on
Tirakol River at the Northern extreme]will only help the Marathi lobby in
extending the area of turmoil. The agitation can effectively block the
coastal highway, NH-17,  as well as the Konkan Railway and create a huge
impact on the movement to the South at the start of the tourist season.

History buffs will remember that Sadashivgad was part of the Sondekar Raja's
Kingdom that was given to the Portuguese colonial rulers for safe keeping
but was attacked and taken over by the forces of Hyder/Haidar Ali, the
father of Tipu Sultan. There is a controversy brewing up about the use of
this fort for heritage tourism by a hotel chain. Funding for an agitation
and emotional/religious/nationalistic/anti-colonial cannon fodder among the
gullible citizens in that area will not be difficult to find. The
Ganeshotsav has already been used to whip up the ante in Sadashivgad. That
Lord Ganesha is the Lord of Peace, is besides the point, ever since Lokmanya
Tilak started the Sarvajanik celebrations to whip up nationalism. The brand
of 'nationalism' has changed since independence.  The Sarvajanik Ganeshotsav
has anyway degenerated to the level that the Visarjan, in Goa and elsewhere,
is done by persons who are far from sober. Since my student days, I have
rushed to hospitals the persons involved in fights over the right of a caste
or group to immerse the idol.

 Nagesh Karmali, a well known Konkani poet and writer who is also fluent in
English and Portuguese, has also been a freedom fighter. He and his
credentials were abused on 18 June 2004 by the Panaji Nagrik Kruti Samiti
[[PUNKS], led by Rajendra Subhash Velingkar and Datta Palekar, to break the
name plaques on the streets of Fontainhas- Panaji. Will we see a repeat on
01 November, 2006? Time will tell. The countdown has begun....56 days and
counting.......... We may have a warm November in the run up to the Goa
Legislative Assembly elections, perhaps clubbed with other states that are
due for elections in February, 2007.

Viva Goa.

Miguel Braganza
9822982676

P.S.
Politics is a funny world. The United Goans Democratic Party [UGDP] may have
a Minister in the Jarkhand Govenment next week. It has two MLAs in the
Opposition as of today. That is double of what the UGDP currently has in Goa
itself ! Jarkhand, like Goa and Karnataka, has a lot of mines. We could
merge the states with mines. There is more money in mining than in Konkani,
anyway.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/TktRrD/gOaOAA/yQLSAA/8XQrlB/TM

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional