Mitt. mitt, mitt

  What is 'mitt'?
  Salt (Sodium Chloride, table salt), namak (Hindi), Sel/Sal
(French/Portuguese).

  This time around (April), many pick-up (tempo) are seen in the villages &
remote areas with ladies shouting 'mitt-mitt-mittt' (also some would sound
their tempo horn repeatedly will the foll. tempo ' pip-pip, pi-pi-pip'. They
were none other than 'salt vendors' coming usually from Batim (near Goa-Velha,
Curca). They would sell salt in bulk quantity and their unit of measurement was
large tin (rectangular) as in large Marie biscuits tin, packed tins of various
oils etc( about 15kgs wt). Most house holds would  buy salt in large quantity
say 7 tins which would last them until next season.  Whereas, landlords used to
buy upto 25 tins as they would require it to use as manure for their coconut
trees etc and they often got it at discounted price.

  There was another lady who used to come periodically but she would sell in
smaller quantity and her unit of measurement was 'poll' a round tubular wooden
unit and the same unit 'poll' still used by our 'chonnekars' and 'Tisrio'
sellers etc. A 'poll' would mean about less than 1kg salt. The lady woudl go
round shouting something like this 'ohhh mitt gho'  see pic 'Polli' and other
units are seen here http://www.flickr.com/photos/joegoauk2/121767390/

  During my school time, I remember there was a lesson on our konkani
(devnagri) book and titled (i think) 'Mitta Agor'
  Where uncle 'Inas' (Inacio) takes young kids to tour a local salt pan. And
during the final exams, one of the sure questions was 'Mitt koxem toyar zata?'
(How salt is obtained?) Where we had to give about 10 lines answer giving the
procedure...'Doriachem udok ..sannttoun dovortat... uprant...duvem ful mitt
toyar zata' and this ans, was woth 10 marks.

  Yet, there was another story (biblical i think) where the king call all his
sons and ask them 'how much they loved him' but when it comes to the last the
youngest son's turn, his answer was 'I love you  as dear as salt' to which the
father (king) become angry and orders to kill him but his soldiers had pitied
on him and instead took him far away out side the  kingdom/country took all
his clothes and left him in a deserted place.  One the son becomes a king and
send an invitation to his old father (king) and ordered his servant to cook
everything but without salt.  His father comes and complains about the saltless
food, son explains...and the father then realises the meaning of loving some
one 'as dear as salt'

  What else you remember about the salt or 'mitt' ?
  Mitta Far (salt gun?)
  Mitta Agor (Salt Pan)
  Mitta foll (raw mangoes etc preserved in a jar with salt water)
  see pic 'Buyanv" http://www.flickr.com/photos/joegoauk2/84939927/
  Mitta Burkulo (earthen pot for storing salt, usually near cooking place using
fuel wood/kitchen)
  Mitta Kan (A large tubular bulk storage container (usually made from coconut
tree lower stem 'madda-mundh').
  Mitt unvallop (superstitious belief - pinchfull of salt (& dry chilies) taken
two round clockwise and one anti clockwise over one's head (usually children)
to drive away evil eye)
  Mittak lai/mar (preserve with salt)
  Mittan dant gansop (Brushing teeth)
  Mittani (a game)
  Kattuk (too salty)
  Suklo Kharem (Salted/dry fish)
  Oinnem (saltless rice/dish)
  Mitta gollgollo (gobble/rinsing with salt water -for Oral infection,
Mouth/teeth/gums/popis)

  What else is salty?
  Human sweat, tears, urine
  Sea/river water
  Salt fish

  Never lend or give money or needle or  rice or Salt at night (another
superstition)

  Ok, here is some more of home work for you guys:
  Pick up one correct answer from the bracket:

  Q1: What is the taste of 'Potassium Cyanide'
  (A. Sweet  B.Sour. C.Salty  D. None)

  Pl. if you don't know, Pl don't try it at home.

  Q2: How much do you love your wife/husband ?
      or how much you love me?
  A. As dear as Gold  B. ada  Pounds/Dollars  C: ada God  D: ada Salt   E. ada
Dog

  Please don't call me 'Namak-haram'
  Any body watched Amitab's film 'Namak- Halal?

  A photo (Salt pan)
  http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=437006493&size=l

  Video clip (salt pan and peole at work) 1.5 mins
  http://konkan.tv/view_video.php?viewkey=3da8c88a0a8b6dec62f9
or
http://youtube.com/watch?v=lHUhEnt0ftI

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

  for Goa & NRI related info...

Konkani Songs, Goan Photos, Tiatr/Film VCDs, Bank interest rates etc etc
   (for updates etc click below)