I'm presently using VirtualBox 4.3, with a Linux host, serving a few
Linux and Windows guests.  If everything is presently functional - is
there going to be any performance benefit in moving to one of the newer
versions?  I've seen some brief comments that each new version adds some
new features, that may be more attractive to an enterprise environment -
but I haven't seen anything that provides much detail on the difference
between versions or why I'd pick one vs another (besides presumed
stability for older versions).

Besides networking and obviously I/O, the only "special" use I can think
of is one of the Windows guests use a host serial port.

--
Daniel