I thought about it, read about it, and toyed with the LDAP idea and I think
it's got a lot of potential for working well for authentication but for the
POP-AUTH type stuff, I don't think it would work well enough on a large
scale system handling hundreds or thousands of updates per minute across a
dozen machines (as my POP servers are doing).

Also, the LDAP support (per the documentation) for some of my other software
is pretty beta and I don't know LDAP well enough to just jump in head first
and hope I can solve any problems that crop up on a production server. With
.cdb files or MySQL it's pretty easy for me to hack together tweaks that I
need to make all the parts of my mail server play nicely together.

Matt