Hello Ken,

Thanks for your earlier message, and sorry for not responding any quicker.

Anyway, I have checked and I am running the tcpserver/qmail-pop3d as root ;
here are the tcpserver processes running: (reformatted for readability)

    [root@ranma log]# ps -ef --cols 145 | grep tcp

    root      1372     1  0 00:16 pts/1    00:00:00
tcpserver -H -R -lranma -c30 0
               pop-3 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup ranma
/home/vpopmail/bin/vchkpw /

    qmaild    1373     1  0 00:16 pts/1    00:00:00 tcpserver -H -R -lranma
               -x /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb -c30 -u505 -g509 0 smtp /var/qmail

and here is the startup rc line that deals with pop:

        env - PATH="/var/qmail/bin:/usr/local/bin" \
        tcpserver -H -R -l$HOSTNAME -c30 0 pop-3 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup
\
        $HOSTNAME \
        /home/vpopmail/bin/vchkpw /var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d Maildir &
        echo -n "pop "

And that nasty error - I still get the message in the /var/log/syslog :

       Mar  8 00:31:15 ranma vpopmail[1450]: vchkpw: setgid() failed

Does anything look obvious?

Val