Are you saying that this cannot be done with other mail programs like
sendmail, postfix, etc?  (I am assuming that he/she is telneting to port 25
and entering SMTP commands, one by one.)

If other mail programs are the same, then the next question would be; do
the log files record the IP address of the machine from where this
"spammer" is working this process from?

If so, then I suppose one could detect and block the access from these
IPs.  I am not sure if "badmailfrom" will work with IPs.  Will it accept
"@IP-address" format?  hmmm...

SFQ