I don't know how expensive this would be, but what about building in a cache
mechinism?  Where vauth_getpw can update a cdb stored locally and use that
cdb in the event of a database failure.

The mechnism would need to be able to add/remove/update records in the cdb
based on the contents of the sql database.

--
  Troy Settle
  Pulaski Networks