Hardcore unix veterans don't use PINE. :-P

Hardcore folks won't use anything that doesn't use vi as it's editor.  I'm
not hardcore, I've only been using unix for 12 years so I use pine because
<gack>  a) I've already hacked it to support Maildir  b) It supports
POP/IMAP accessing my other mailboxes  c) it's installed on every mail
system I have an account on (including those I don't administer).

Of course you have to be running PINE as the user that the maildir is owned
as but I do it this way on my personal mailbox:

~matt/domains/simerson.net/matt/Maildir is my maildir. In my $HOME I have a
symlink that points Maildir to that directory. It works just fine.

Matt