>The pop method is invisible to the Mail User Agent so
>Netscape has no problem with it.

Thus users can receive messages fine

>When you setup Netscape there is a way to type in your
>user name to send to the smtp server. If you do that,
>netscape assumes there is smtp authentication. If you
>do not type anything in for user/smtp server, then it
>does not try.

If you leave the Outgoing Mail(SMTP) field blank, messanger complains that it
needs a name to be entered.  If you enter the name, then it complains that it
needs an account,  if you enter the account it tries to authenticate via SMTP.

I am not referring to the incoming mail being able to select POP or SMTP,
obviously that is set to POP and works fine.

>If you want to use the pop method don't tell netscape
>to try the smtp authentication method.

Again, if we are talking retrieval, it is set to POP and retrieves just fine
from vpopmail...  however it cant send, and I don't see where you can tell it
not to use SMTP without it complaining.

>If you want to use smtp authentication then give netscape
>the smtp user name values.

Obviously not an option with the current configuration with vchkpw doing the
auth...

>So it sounds like your problem is Netscape is not configured
>for what ever method you are trying to use.
<clipped>
>All the releases back to the first ones that supported roaming
>users has worked with netscape. I know because I used netscape
>as my MUA. All current releases also work.

would love to know what your configuration settings are for netscape then.
(currently working with a customer using communicator 4.73)

Appreciate the response.

Dave