Aaron,

The issue is sqwebmail keeps a copy of the pass in ~/Maildir/sqwebmail-pass.
If you delete this file and change the pass in vpopmail it works in both
places.  If you change it in sqwebmail it only updates this file and not
vpopmail, this has been a problem for a long time.  I thought the newew
sqwebmail would actually listen when you told it to use authvchkpw but
apparently not yet.

As Ken said I would suggest taking it up on the sqwebmail list as someone
there may have more information, that is where the problem lies.  Vpopmail
changes the pass when you tell it, this is unrelated to vpopmail
authentication.  It's a compatibility issue (or lack thereof) of Sqwebmail.