I compiled vpopmail with this configure command:

./configure --enable-tcprules=/var/qmail/control/tcprules.dat --enable-md5-p
asswords=y --enable-logging=v --enable-clear-passwd=y --enable-mysql-replica
tion=y --enable-passwd=y --enable-defaultquota=10000000 --enable-valias=y --
enable-default-domain=knology.net --enable-many-domains=n --enable-libs=/usr
/lib/mysql/ --enable-mysql=y --enable-auth-logging=y --enable-log-name=vpopm
ail

Everything works fine except for the fact that I am not seeing anything in
syslog.
I started syslog with and without the "-r" option, though I assume you would
not need the -r since it is logging locally.

My syslog.conf file looks like this:

# Log all kernel messages to the console.
# Logging much else clutters up the screen.
#kern.*                                                 /dev/console

# Log anything (except mail) of level info or higher.
# Don't log private authentication messages!
*.info;mail.none;authpriv.none;cron.none                /var/log/messages

# The authpriv file has restricted access.
authpriv.*                                              /var/log/secure

# Log all the mail messages in one place.
mail.*                                                  /var/log/maillog

# Log cron stuff
cron.*                                                  /var/log/cron

# Everybody gets emergency messages
*.emerg                                                 *

# Save news errors of level crit and higher in a special file.
uucp,news.crit                                          /var/log/spooler
vpopmail.*                                              /var/log/pop3auth

# Save boot messages also to boot.log
local7.*                                                /var/log/boot.log

I don't see any activity in /var/log/messages or /var/log/pop3auth

Is the configure command of my vpopmail install wrong?
Has anyone else seen this before?

The OS is RedHat Linux 7.3.

If I tell it to log to MySQL using --enable-mysql-logging=y, this works.

John Councilman

Knology Systems Engineer