I run system quotas and use courier-imap.  After a user authenticates,
courier switches ID to that user before execing imapd or pop3d.  All new
folders created are that of the authenticated user.  If they're created as
root (which imapd should *not* be running as root), then there's a
problem with your configuration somewhere.  The only processes that run
as root are the auth daemons, logger, and couriertcpd.

Brian