At 11:55 PM 10-24-2002, Peter Palmreuther wrote:
Hello Justin,

On Thursday, October 24, 2002 at 10:29:12 PM you wrote:

> 1) if there is a comparable way to defer delivery for a virtual domain,
> similar to setting the sticky bit on a home directory

Shut down the SMTP server.

The mails that would like to come in from outside should sit in mail
queue on the other end for 5 days while your SMTP is not accessible,
There is no guarantee that any site will hold the messages for five days, as there is no stipulation in the RFC's for queue hold intervals, to the best of my knowledge. Five days is a traditional/customary interval, but not a requirement. Many sites use shorter queues due to high volume, and the high cost of attempting redelivery of messages that are unlikely to ever go through if they don't go through within the first few hours. I use 72 hours for most of my servers.

Paul Theodoropoulos
http://www.anastrophe.com
http://folding.stanford.edu
The Nicest Misanthrope on the Net