On Monday, November 4, 2002, at 09:58  AM, Darek wrote:

Hey guys,

I want to go from vpopmail-4.9.8 to probably 5.2.1, or maybe the unstable branch.

This is a live system and I am a bit weary about everything working without as much as 5 minutes of downtime. The only difference that I could see between a new version and the old is the placement of tcp.smtp(.cdb) files. But that is pretty trivial. Everything else was the same.

Are there any serious differences that qmail, qmailadmin, courier-imap, etc would care about? I know that there's been a lot of development going on, but from a functional and practical point of view, would qmail use vpopmail in the same exact way?
There are a couple of issues:

1. 5.0+ defaults to clear passwords being on, which alters the number of fields in the vqpasswd structure (vpasswd file, table definitions, etc). There were some problems with backwards compatibility early on, but 5.2.1 should be fine. If you want to be extra cautious, use --enable-clear-passwd=n.

2. Courier-imap will need to be upgraded. Or, you can grab the latest preauchvchkpw.c and recompile your existing version.

Regards,

Bill