I think there is a difference between

.qmail files are not supported in MySQL as far as I know.
It's only .qmail-<aliasname> that is supported (for aliases and
--> see valias table in mysql

.qmail files are always located in a users directory.

I use .qmail (user based) and .qmail-default (domain wide) to configure
the way incoming emails are being checked (with or w/o spamassassin,

Unfortunatley this is still being done through shell and that's what I
am trying to get rid of (hopefully totally) with a pure PHP frontend.

Correct me if I'm wrong with the .qmail statement