LDAP, in basic terms, is a protocol and method of storing stuff. All sorts of stuff. The LDAP that vpopmail would be talking about would be the usernames, passwords, home directories, etc of the various email accounts on your system. Just like you would store it on a mysql or cdb database. You can also store address books in LDAP, but that's a different program. vpopmail just does email delivery.