you will see exit status of 256 when someone makes a tcp connection to port 25 and
does not respond to the 3-way handshake (ie portscan).  You will also see 256 when you
get newlines in mail headers, instead of CRLF's.  You might want to call recordio
before qmail-smtpd, and that will fix all the newline problems, if that's truely what
it is.  You might want to tcpdump the incoming connections until you see a 256..