-----Original Message-----
From: Cory Wright [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 30 December 2002 05:57
To: vpopmail usergroup
Subject: Re: [vchkpw] qmail/vpopmail cannot auth pop3 clients. No
logging.

On Mon, Dec 30, 2002 at 01:49:54PM -0800, Matt Darcy wrote:

> [root@jordan qmail-pop3d]# ps axwwww|grep readproc
>  1164 ?        S      0:01 readproctitle service errors: ... unable to
start
> qma
> il-pop3d/run: exec format error?supervise: fatal: unable to start
> qmail-pop3d/ru
> n: exec format error?supervise: fatal: unable to start qmail-pop3d/run:
exec
> for
> mat error?supervise: fatal: unable to start qmail-pop3d/run: exec format
> error?s
> upervise: fatal: unable to start qmail-pop3d/run: exec format
> error?supervise: f
> atal: unable to start qmail-pop3d/run: exec format error?
>  4575 pts/1    R      0:00 grep readproc
> [root@jordan qmail-pop3d]#

It would be great if you could turn off line wrapping in your mailer.
Thanks.

> [root@jordan qmail-pop3d]# cat -e run
>  #!/bin/sh$
>     exec /usr/local/bin/softlimit -m 5000000 \$
>         /usr/local/bin/tcpserver -H -R 0 pop-3 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup
\$
>             alesi.projecthugo.co.uk /home/vpopmail/bin/vchkpw
> /var/qmail/bin/qma
> il-pop3d Maildir 2>&1$
> $

It is hard to tell with the line wrapping, but after looking at your first
post of this file I believe the problem is that '/var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d`
is on a new line, when it should either be immediately after vchkpw or there
should be a \ as the last character on the vchkpw line.  Fix this, the pop3d
service should start within 5 seconds after its fixed.

What you have:
#!/bin/sh
   exec /usr/local/bin/softlimit -m 5000000 \
       /usr/local/bin/tcpserver -H -R 0 pop-3 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup \
           alesi.projecthugo.co.uk /home/vpopmail/bin/vchkpw
/var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d Maildir 2>&1

What it should be:
#!/bin/sh
   exec /usr/local/bin/softlimit -m 5000000 \
       /usr/local/bin/tcpserver -H -R 0 pop-3 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup \
           alesi.projecthugo.co.uk /home/vpopmail/bin/vchkpw \
              /var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d Maildir 2>&1

Good luck,

Cory

Hi Cory,thanks for the input. the wrapping is not from my email client it is
the fact that I am using ms telnet and that is wrapping the text - I can't
turn this off it is just ms telnet is rubbish.

I have added the / as you suggested, and the pop3 daemon starts up for 1
second then the status shows it never lives longer than a second.

[root@jordan qmail-pop3d]# ps axwwww|grep readproc
 1164 ?        S      0:01 readproctitle service errors: ... unable to start
qma
il-pop3d/run: exec format error?supervise: fatal: unable to start
qmail-pop3d/ru
n: exec format error?supervise: fatal: unable to start qmail-pop3d/run: exec
for
mat error?supervise: fatal: unable to start qmail-pop3d/run: exec format
error?s
upervise: fatal: unable to start qmail-pop3d/run: exec format
error?supervise: f
atal: unable to start qmail-pop3d/run: exec format error?
 7056 pts/1    R      0:00 grep readproc
[root@jordan qmail-pop3d]#

(sorry about the wrap - )

and the script now looks like

[root@jordan qmail-pop3d]# cat -e run
 #!/bin/sh$
    exec /usr/local/bin/softlimit -m 5000000 \$
        /usr/local/bin/tcpserver -H -R 0 pop-3 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup \$
            alesi.projecthugo.co.uk /home/vpopmail/bin/vchkpw \
/var/qmail/bin/q
mail-pop3d Maildir 2>&1$
$
[root@jordan qmail-pop3d]#

I still can't connect - I am assuming this is because pop3 daemon is not
staying up longer than 1 second. I am re-reading the vchkpw documents I used
to install and configure vpopmail and it mentions setting up the qmail-pop3d
run script referencing the pop3 service from /etc/services

[root@jordan qmail-pop3d]# cat /etc/services | grep pop
# unfortunately the poppassd (Eudora) uses a port which has already
# been assigned to a different service. We list the poppassd as an
#3com-tsmux     106/tcp         poppassd
#3com-tsmux     106/udp         poppassd
pop2            109/tcp         pop-2   postoffice      # POP version 2
pop2            109/udp         pop-2
pop3            110/tcp         pop-3           # POP version 3
pop3            110/udp         pop-3
pop3s           995/tcp                         # POP-3 over SSL
pop3s           995/udp                         # POP-3 over SSL
kpop            1109/tcp                        # Pop with Kerberos
poppassd        106/tcp                         # Eudora
poppassd        106/udp                         # Eudora

I am assuming pop-3 is the correct alias to put in the run script (as you
can see above) should it be pop3 though ?

Thanks for your time on this,

Matt.