Are you using tcpserver -x ~vpopmail/etc/tcp.smtp.cdb in your qmail-smtpd run
file? If yes, then proceed..

I was using tcp.smtp.cdb in vpopmail for roaming users until I upgraded to
5.2.1 w/ mysql, so i ended up also applying matt simerson's mysql patch to
tcpserver (or ucscpi package -- as recommended by README.mysql):
http://matt.simerson.net/computing/mail/qmail/ucspi-tcp-0.88-mysql.patch
After that you could run tcpserver with the new -S option (to enable tcpserver
to read relay information from vpopmail's relay table in mysql)

Just make sure you create a file /var/qmail/control/sql containing:

server  localhost
port    3306
database        vpopmail
table   relay
user    username
pass    secret
time    7200

Then you could compile your tcp.smtp to another location (for
example /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb) and change tcpserver -x to that new file
(maintaining the additional -S option). This way, you will have a slim
tcp.smtp.cdb that never changes except when you change it. This is a much
better approach if you are using both --enable-roaming-users=y and --enable-
mysql=y.