Hi

We have a strange problem. Sometimes the vpasswd file gets deleted. The vpasswd.cdb file are not touched. Concurrent with this (some times!) the email directories of the email accounts gets deleted! Most of the times it is only the cur & tmp Dir.'s, however a couple of occasions the new dirs was also deleted. There is about 89 email accounts, sometimes only 3 of 4 will be affected on other times about 80% is affected. No particular order is found ie: accounts with letters starting with a to k is affected, then a couple is skipped and t to z is again affected.

I wonder if there might not be a timestamp problem. I once created a new forward and then could not manage any of the email. Using the command line tools I found out that the timestamp for vpasswd and the .qmail file was 3 months IN THE FUTURE!. Restoring the correct time stamp (ie: 'touch file name') established normal order. In the logrotate logs I also find entries like: 'log file xxx has a date in the future. Rotation forced'. Testing with normal command line tools does not produce any timestamp abnormalities.

I have 3 machines with this behavior, build using the same tools.

Details:

OS = RH7.3
Kernel 2.4.17
Vpopmail-5.3.8
qmailadmin-1.0.6
ucspi-tcp-0.88
daemontools-0.76
functions-4.2
Kaspersky AVP antivirus software ( modified qmail que) V 4.0.0.0

All compile from tar files.

Has any one else experienced these type of symptoms? Any suggestions

The only idea I have is perhaps Vpopmail should be downgraded to V5.2