There are no truly robust software solutions for this. Hardware really is the best way to go.

You can pick up a redundant pair of Big/IP traffic directors for less than $3000 on ebay. in fact, here's a pari of them for $2,500:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3706&item=2086973488

i used the big/ip's in production for three years for a national ISP. they are still in service, a year after i left. i swear by the big/ip's, they are a fantastic product.