On Saturday 22 March 2003 04:39 am, Justin Heesemann wrote:
> On Friday 21 March 2003 23:32, Benjamin Tomhave wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > After a few hours of googling, I'm at a loss.  What is
> > the --enable-file-sync flag for?  In a previous build, according to my
> > notes, I set it to =y.  However, it appears that =n is the default and
> > that most people configure that way.  I for one am using a mysql backend,
> > so perhaps they're related?  If anybody could set me straight, would
> > appreciate it.
>
> i'd say it calls fsync after every write operation to disk. this of course
> slows delivery.

I remember putting this option in.
I was working  on a very heavily loaded mail server.
I didn't need each  email delivery syncing the disk.
I also didn't need qmail syncing the disk. So I commented
the fsync's out of qmail and put in the option to vpopmail
not to sync. Prior to this, vpopmail followed the lead of
qmail, which was to sync the hell out of the disk. On
a heavily loaded system this doesn't make sense and
impacts performance. I'd rather let the OS sync the
disk for me, and risk losing a  few emails a year if
the machine crashed.

Ken Jones