I'm having problems with --enable-roaming as well.

 I have everything configured properly (pretty sure) and permissions correct
 (pretty sure again), and whenever a user logs in via pop, it does NOT
 attempt to update the open-smtp file, or the tcp.cdb, or anything.
Nothing.
 Just like having it w/o --enable-roaming-users=y compiled.

 Been struggling with it for days, any ideas?

 Sorry to thread hijack..  As for your problem, you will have to recompile.
 At least the vauthpw binary, probably more than that.  Just recompile, and
 manually overwrite the binaries (after backing up originals).  Probably the
 least painful means of doing it.

 -Phil