On Thursday 26 June 2003 02:41, Doug Clements wrote:
> Greetings,
>     We're getting a report of a bogus Delivered-To header from one of
> our customers. Apparently, Exchange relies on this in some way.

it shouldn't.

The header lines are not normally used in mail routing.  exchange *should* be
using the smtp envelope (ie the "RCPT [EMAIL PROTECTED]" that is
passed in the SMTP exchange) to route the message, rather than information in
a message header, which is purely for post-event audit purposes.

I had this (or at least a similar issue) with a Exchange mail administrator
who was unable to route mail from a mailing list to his user because the 'To:
...' line in the headers didn't match any user in his domain ... I pointed
out (to no avail) that the To: header had nothing to do with routing the
message ... :(

> You can see it here.. The real domain is linear-systems.com, but the
> delivered-to header doesn't complete the domain in the first part of the
> line and it ends up being systems.com. Has anyone seen this before, and
> know of a fix?

sadly I don't know of a 'fix' ... but there may be one ...  I suspect this is
a qmail issue rather than a vchkpw issue,( although really, all its doing is
recording one step in the internal qmail routing, so its arbitary what is
written there, Exchange shouldn;t even be reading it.)  (this line is the
routing to the alias in /var/qmail/users/assign, it is defined in
/var/qmail/control/rcpthosts) .. its just an record of one part of the
routing within the server, I don't really see why Exchange should be worried
by it in anyway.

I have however, as I said, had similar problems with exchange, but for that
part, there is only one cure ;)

> Thanks!
> --Doug

Robin Szemeti