You can do either or both of the following.

Apply the checkuser patch. There is a modified one to work with vpopmail at I have it working on 5.3.20 with mysql and it works
a treat.

echo doublebounce >/var/qmail/control/doublebounceto
echo '#' >/var/qmail/alias/.qmail-doublebounce

The second one is a good idea anyway if you have a high volume server cause
it sends the doublebounce's to null.