I have a vpopmail server that's been running fine for over a year.

 Now, it's refusing to authenticate people;

[EMAIL PROTECTED] tmp]# telnet localhost 110
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK <16266.1061371053@/hsphere/local/var/vpopmail/bin/vchkpw>
user [EMAIL PROTECTED]
+OK
pass secret
-ERR this user has no $HOME/Maildir
Connection closed by foreign host.
[EMAIL PROTECTED] tmp]# grep john /var/vpopmail/domains/hosting365.ie/vpasswd
john:fqwqZasdMrhcs:1:0:john:/hsphere/local/var/vpopmail/domains/hosting365.ie/john:300m
[EMAIL PROTECTED] tmp]# ls -l
/hsphere/local/var/vpopmail/domains/hosting365.ie/john/
total 8
-rw-r--r--    1 vpopmail vchkpw          4 Aug 20 09:59 lastauth
drwx------   14 vpopmail vchkpw       4096 Aug 20 10:16 Maildir

 Any ideas why this could happen ? Is there docs on running vchkpw so I
could see how it works ? Yes, the code does have bits & pieces like;

 printf("vchkpw: what the hell are you doing running vchkpw on the
command line!! It's only for talking with qmail-popup and
qmail-pop3d.\n");

 But I'm out of ideas as to what could have gone wrong. Curiously,
courier-imap, is authenticating the same users fine.

John