[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, September 21, 2003 4:24 PM
Subject: Permissions problem on /home/vpopmail after re-compile

hi all,

I have been having a qmailadmin problem for a while now, after playing

with

vpopmail I think I have got to the bottom. (quite a simple one when you

look

at it properly)

The initial problem was qmailadmin gave me the error "could not open"

and

that was it

I rebuilt qmailadmin - I rebuilt vpopmail nothing seemed to work.

However I tried to add a domain using the command line today as I

decided

spend some proper time on this problem.

I ran a ./vadddomain test.com
typed in the password 2 times
and got back "Error: Could not open qmail default"

a quick search of bluedot.net revieled that qmail default is

.qmail-default

in the domain dir of the domain creating.

so the problems is a simple permissions problem. Now comes to the

confusing

bit.

All the domains bar inter7.com and hugo.com where created from the first vpopmail install

[EMAIL PROTECTED] /home/vpopmail/domains]# ls -la
total 44
drwx------ 10 vpopmail vchkpw 4096 Sep 21 15:13 .
drwxr-xr-x 9 vpopmail vchkpw 4096 Sep 10 20:21 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 vpopmail vchkpw 34 Sep 9 10:12 .dir-control
drwxr-x--- 3 vpopmail vchkpw 4096 Apr 23 13:24

aspectevents.co.uk

drwx------ 4 vpopmail vchkpw 4096 Jul 17 14:15 hacktek.co.uk
drwx------ 2 vpopmail vchkpw 4096 Sep 21 15:06 hugo.com
drwx------ 2 vpopmail vchkpw 4096 Sep 21 15:13 inter7.com
drwxr-x--- 4 vpopmail vchkpw 4096 Sep 10 20:08 mdlan.co.uk
drwxr-x--- 4 vpopmail vchkpw 4096 May 29 17:08
parsonsmotorsport.co.uk
drwxr-x--- 6 vpopmail vchkpw 4096 Apr 30 15:38

projecthugo.co.uk

drwxr-x--- 4 vpopmail vchkpw 4096 Apr 25 15:15 sfproject.co.uk

As you can see the X permissions is missing from the group permissions

on

the 2 test domains created. So vpopmail is actually creating the domains
with the right user/group vpopmail:vchkpw (so the ./configure options

appear

to have worked)  yet it appears to have just forgot about the group
permissions ???

The group permissions at not a build time option ?? so why when I have
rebuilt the same version of vpopmail with the same configure options

does

it

simpley forget to apply group permissions. vadddomain creates the dir

with

the wrong group permissions so it can't create the .qmail-default domain
inside.

Any suggestions as to why vpopmail is doing this ?

(Thanks for the input on the qmailadmin list also some good advice - the
fact that I didn't get anywhere made me get my head down today)

thanks,

Matt.

An interesting note is

a.) vpopmail ./vadddomain causes the error
b.) qmailadmin complains of an error "cannot open dir"
c.) vqadmin does NOT complain of any error. It creates a dir with the SAME
permissions as the other none working domains (as though the group
permissions had been forgot) but it manages to create the .qmail-defaults
file. This is very interesting as I understand it vqadmin simpley uses
vadddomain - and if the permissions are correct with drwx------ and not
drwxr-x why can vadddomain not create the .qmail-defaults file when it
creates a domain.

Thanks

Matt.

Please post a ls -al of /home/vpopmail/