Oliver Etzel - GoodnGo.COM \(R\) writes:

> I want to create new users like [EMAIL PROTECTED] NOT with vadduser
>  BUT with just inserting it via mysql-insert into the vpopmail
> database.

OK, you have now explained what you want to use instead.  Somebody else
pointed out that the maildir will be created automatically by vdelivermail
if the user exists (I hadn't realized it did that until I read that
message and looked at the code just now) so you can get away with doing
that.  What you have yet to explain is any valid or sensible reason WHY
you want to do this.

> Any hints,
> how I can generate the encrypted password in the column pw_passwd
> (looks like this $1$S/TPu$GjMMj7yMJqG.0ckx) ???????

Not without breaking out of MySQL and returning to the shell.  The
hard way is to get a shell prompt, use passwd to set the password of a
dummy system user then copy the crypted password into the MySQL command.
The harder way is to write a perl script that generates some good random
salt, calls crypt to crypt the password then uses the DBD modules to
insert the user into MySQL.  An easy way to do it is to add the
user with MySQL giving garbage for the crypted password then use vmoduser
to set a valid crypted password.  The very easy way to do it is to run
vadduser.

You CANNOT do it all from MySQL.  You CAN do it all with vadduser.  What
is more, I can see no reason why you would want to add a user but NOT
have the maildir created at the same time, which is all you could achieve
if you could do it all from MySQL  If you have some automation tool
that can only cope with adding MySQL rows then you'll still have to
modify it to shell out to generate the crypted password, so you might
as well modify it to shell out and run vadduser anyway.  If you want
domain admins to be able to add users this way because they cannot run
vadduser you'll still have to write code that validates they can only
modify their own domains, so you'd be far better off installing something
like qmailadmin on your server.

--
Paul Allen
Softflare Support