TuxRelated <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi List,
>
> our current qmail/vpopmail server gets a little unstable due to some
> raid problems, so i want to setup a 2-node failover cluster with qmail,
> vpopmail and imap. the plan is to use drbd to mirror /home via tcp/ip
> to the second node and to use heartbeat to do a failover if the primary
> fails. the second node runs the same daemons as node-1, so users still
> have full access to their imap-accounts. soooo :) does anybody have any
> experience with this setup, has done it before or has any hints? im also
> thinking about intermezzo as distributed FS. any eperiences with that?
> many thanks for your opinions,

You're over-engineering.  DRDB and Intermezzo are not ready for this.  Try to
imagine recovering from a failure in either of these.

I suggest simply having every mail deliver to both locations, and hacking a
pop/imap server that deletes from both.  Personally, I don't go that far; I
just deliver to both and have rsync clean up the second member of the storage
pair when a delete happens.

Consider separating your MXs away from your mail storage boxes.

Really, though, all you need is one stable box.  Don't buy scummy IDE drives.
You'll have a better time with one really good machine than with two crashy
ones, and spend less.

--
Erik Bourget
Mid-Maine Communications