Nick Harring <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Erik Bourget wrote:
>  I suggest simply having every mail deliver to both locations, and hacking a
>  pop/imap server that deletes from both.  Personally, I don't go that far; I
>  just deliver to both and have rsync clean up the second member of the
>  storage pair when a delete happens.
> This is a little nappy if you're going to try and "cluster" these, as
> you'll get mail showing up and disappearing based on where the user hits
> until the rsync finishes. I don't know about anybody else, but I also get
> nervous cron'ing an rsync which removes files.

They always pop from the first server until 'failover' happens.  And the rsync
isn't cron'd, it's constantly running:

while(1) {
         foreach (@users_who_have_popped_since_last_time) {

But yeah, it's not good for clustering.  I don't want clustering, I want to be
able to recover data in the event of catastrophic failure - these secondaries
are more of a 'hot backup'.

> horsepower. I'm using Linux-HA tools to cluster MySQL, Veritas Foundation

Cluster MySQL?  Why not just run a replicated read-only copy of the database
locally on each box that needs it?

On another note, what would someone expect the requirements of a box running
spamassassin's spamd for 2 million e-mails per day would be?  I'm gunning for
a few dual Xeon 2.4GHz.  All these boxes do is spamd.  I found that a dual
1.13GHz box is not adequate for handling a fifth of this load (spamd in
addition to my filtering-rules-in-SQL patched maildrop, pop, etc) at three in
the morning (spam time).  This surprised me.  Spamd is /INTENSIVE/.  Anyone
have tuning tips?

- Erik