Greetings all,

I have been fighting a problem with vpopmail & the smpt-auth patch for
several days now and feel a little lost and beaten down.

I use Netscape 7.1 to connect to my email account ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) and
use 'admin' as the username. I can retreive messages without difficulty.
When I attempt to reply, Netscape prompts me for a password. I supply
the same password I used to retreive email. After some churning, I am
presented with the password dialog again.

I have tried this using an SMTP username of 'admin' as well as of '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' and the results are identical.

I also tried using Outlook Express 6, and saw similar behavior.

My provider is not blocking the SMTP port--I use another SMPT server without difficulty.

I patched qmail 1.03 with the SMTP auth patch 0.31 from
http://members.elysium.pl/brush/qmail-smtpd-auth/.

I configured vpopmail like so:

./configure
   --enable-logging=p \
   --enable-ip-alias-domains=y  \
   --enable-clear-passwd=y  \
   --enable-mysql=y  \
   --enable-auth-logging=y \
   --enable-mysql-logging=y  \
   --enable-valias=y

(I have tried this with both vpopmail-5.2.1 and vpopmail-5.3.30)

I have used vipmap to associate cono.org with 65.125.228.113.

My supervise/qmail-smtp/run script is:

#!/bin/sh
SMTPDUID=`id -u vpopmail`
SMTPDGID=`id -g vpopmail`
exec /usr/local/bin/softlimit -m 2000000 \
/usr/local/bin/tcpserver -H -R -v -p -x /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb \
-u $SMTPDUID -g $SMTPDGID 0 smtp \
/var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd vps1.digitalfeet.org \
/home/vpopmail/bin/vchkpw /bin/true 2>&1

/etc/tcp.smtp contains:

:allow
127.:allow,RELAYCLIENT=""
65.125.228.113:allow,RELAYCLIENT=""

The /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb is current.

The qmail-smtpd log doesn't mean much to me:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]# tail /var/log/qmail/qmail-smtpd/current
@400000003fc9044e09871064 tcpserver: status: 2/40
@400000003fc9044e375a6af4 tcpserver: end 28368 status 256
@400000003fc9044e375ab914 tcpserver: status: 1/40
@400000003fc9045004be031c tcpserver: end 28370 status 256
@400000003fc9045004be4d54 tcpserver: status: 0/40
@400000003fc9168a38ded0a4 tcpserver: status: 1/40
@400000003fc9168a391380ec tcpserver: pid 28714 from 207.191.210.111
@400000003fc9168a392cae3c tcpserver: ok 28714 cono.org:65.125.228.113:25
:207.191.210.111::4520
@400000003fc9169f336d90c4 tcpserver: end 28714 status 256
@400000003fc9169f336ddafc tcpserver: status: 0/40
@400000003fc919462012134c tcpserver: status: 1/40
@400000003fc919462afc0d1c tcpserver: pid 28743 from 207.191.210.111
@400000003fc919462b16922c tcpserver: ok 28743 cono.org:65.125.228.113:25 :207.191.210.111::4549
@400000003fc91950182b281c tcpserver: end 28743 status 256
@400000003fc91950182b763c tcpserver: status: 0/40
@400000003fc9197b2066559c tcpserver: status: 1/40
@400000003fc9197b20912a74 tcpserver: pid 28747 from 207.191.210.111
@400000003fc9197b20ace41c tcpserver: ok 28747 cono.org:65.125.228.113:25 :207.191.210.111::4551

The vlog table in Mysql says:

vchkpw: login success [EMAIL PROTECTED]:207.191.210.111

I'd be grateful for any direction as to how to troubleshoot this problem further.

My goal is to install Courier-IMAP and to have my configuration work with it as well. I understand that Courier-IMAP needs to be patched to handle --enable-ip-alias-domains=y, but I suppose that is my next hurdle since I unable even to send messages at this point.

Thanks again,

John-Mason P. Shackelford -- http://john-mason.shackelford.org