My first guess is that you need to figure out why SQL queries to your server fail and you'll have the answer to your problem.

Write a script that asks your server lots and lots of queries just like a busy mail server would. Check and verify the results and I'm sure you'll find some clues as to exactly what tree you should be barking up.

Matt