To clear up how I got it to work for anyone who may search
the archives or google for the problem...

I setup Bincimap-1.2.3 with the following options:

I configured with --prefix=/usr/local on redhat linux 7.3.

/usr/local/etc/bincimap.conf has these changes.

Security {
    jail path = "/usr/local/bin",
    jail user = "vpopmail", // My Vpopmail user
    jail group = "vchkpw"   // My Vpopmail group
}

Mailbox {
    depot = "Maildir++",
    type = "Maildir",
    path = "./Maildir",
    auto create inbox = "no",
    auto subscribe mailboxes = "INBOX/Drafts,INBOX/Sent,INBOX/Trash",
    umask = "077"
}

Then I set these options in Squirrelmail (version 1.42)

In Server Settings;
I changed the Imap Server ( option 8) to other.
Then I changed Delimiter (option 9) to detect.

Under Folder Options I have
1.  Default Folder Prefix         :
2.  Show Folder Prefix Option     : false
3.  Trash Folder                  : INBOX/Trash
4.  Sent Folder                   : INBOX/Sent
5.  Drafts Folder                 : INBOX/Drafts
6.  By default, move to trash     : true
7.  By default, move to sent      : true
8.  By default, save as draft     : true
9.  List Special Folders First    : false
10. Show Special Folders Color    : true
11. Auto Expunge                  : true
12. Default Sub. of INBOX         : true
13. Show 'Contain Sub.' Option    : false
14. Default Unseen Notify         : 2
15. Default Unseen Type           : 2
16. Auto Create Special Folders   : true
17. Folder Delete Bypasses Trash  : true
18. Enable /NoSelect folder fix   : true

This combination allows you to use BincImap without having to change qmail
deliver to a different directory. I end up with a structure like

Inbox
Inbox.Sent
Inbox.Drafts
Inbox.Trash

Hopefully that this may help someone else out.

cheers
Shane