Hello Andrea,

On Thursday, January 15, 2004 at 4:21:09 PM you wrote (at least in
part):

>> What we need is why 'vchkpw' fails to write 'open-smtp' (or
>> if it even tries to).

[...]
>  16072 vchkpw   NAMI  "/etc/malloc.conf"
>  16072 vchkpw   RET   readlink -1 errno 2 No such file or directory

> < what's the malloc.conf file? >

Don't know. But don't care. Not every 'No such file ...' is a fatal
error. I'd guess it's OK it ain't there, any function from 'ld.so'
probabyl simply tries to look for the file and /IF/ it's there it's
evaluated. If not default values are used.
I wouldn't worry.

[...]
> < I've xxxxxxxx the passwords >

That's OK.

[...]
>  16072 vchkpw   CALL  open(0x833c,0x602,0x1b6)
>  16072 vchkpw   NAMI  "/home/vpopmail/etc/open-smtp.lock"
>  16072 vchkpw   RET   open -1 errno 13 Permission denied

> < probably the problem is here?

Not 'probably', for sure. vchpw ain't able to open a lock file and
therefore refuses to continue writing IP to open-smtp.

> -rw-r--r--  1 vpopmail  vchkpw     0 Jan 15 15:40 open-smtp
> -rw-r--r--  1 root      wheel      0 Jan 15 01:22 open-smtp.lock

> What's open-smtp.lock file ? >

It's used to indicate "I'm currently writing open-smtp. Please wait
one moment before writing." when two vchkpw try to access the file nearly
simultaneously. Without this the two would probably overwrite each
others information (instead of only appending to existing data).

Returning to your problem: in line 188 of your dump I see:

>  16072 vchkpw   CALL  geteuid
>  16072 vchkpw   RET   geteuid 89/0x59

So your vchkpw is run as 'vpopmail'. But the lock file is owned by (and
write restricted to) root.
I don't see a setuid call in your run script, so: any of vpopmail
binaries set the setuid bit? What's the output of

ls -l /home/vpopmail/bin/*

Any '-u 89' anywhere in your startup script? Any other possible
'change user ID' mechanism?

Nonetheless you can try to delete open-smtp.lock, maybe (if
'/home/vpopmail/etc' permits UID 89 to create a new file) this already
solves your problem.
--
Best regards
Peter Palmreuther

Nothing is illegal if one hundred businessmen decide to do it.  -
Andrew Young -