On Sat, 2004-01-31 at 21:58, Kurt Bigler wrote:

> Actually what I see are double bounces, and I make the inference about what
> would have happenned if the from address of the original message accepted by
> my SMTP had actually existed.  Please correct me if that inference is wrong.

Combining the fact of a double bounce, with a local account which
doesn't exist (like [EMAIL PROTECTED]), along with a conclusion that
the email is spam, indicates to me that the bounce is the intended
target of the email. Sometimes the email is not valid, so you get double
bounces as well. Otherwise, if the target exists, it gets relayed as a
bounce. A failure notice might even have a higher change that the user
will read it, just to make sure one of their emails didn't bounce.

I discovered this last week. I decided to delete the email instead of
refusing it. This gives the spammer no information on whether the email
address is valid or not.

As suggested by Ken Jones:

Set your bounce option to delete. The .qmail-default file will look like
| /home/vpopmail/bin/vdelivermail '' delete

tom jackson