On Monday 16 February 2004 1:47 pm, Eduardo M. Bragatto wrote:
> Hi,
>
>       I've been using vpopmail with cdb authentication system on many servers
> about 2 years and I don't have any complains about it.
>       Looking the README.mysql from vpopmail 5.4.0 it says:
>
>       "Using vpopmail with MySQL is becoming increasingly popular.
>       The code is well tested and can be considered to be just
>       as stable as the default CDB authentication system."
>
>       Is there any special reason to use MySQL instead of CDB? I'm not an
> expert on database systems, but CDB just seems more stable and faster to
> me (I'm not saying it is, it's just my impression about it and as I
> said: I'm NOT an expert).
>       I'm asking it because since vp+mysql is becoming so popular, should be
> a good reason for that. So, I'd like to hear from you the advantages and
> cons about it compared with CDB.
>
>               Regrads,
>               Eduardo M. Bragatto.

There are some trade offs with cdb and mysql.
Here are some rules of thumb I use when deciding
1) Single machine, no domain over 5,000 users ---> use cdb
2) cluster of machines or more than 5,000 users in one domain --> mysql
3) other systems use mysql and want to interface with
   vpopmail via mysql ---> then use mysql

Ken Jones