On Mon, 2004-02-16 at 14:45, Tom Collins wrote:
> On Feb 16, 2004, at 1:23 PM, Nick Harring wrote:
> > In most setups, i.e. less than 1k users, I'd probably agree. For larger
> > sites though I'd be interested in trying to benchmark, maybe with
> > something like oProfile?, how much of a difference dynamic libraries
> > could make for MySQL. I'm currently beginning to address performance
> > tuning needs on my qmail/vpopmail cluster, so I may have the
> > time/resources to really investigate this.
>
> I assume that it would only require minor changes in the Makefiles to
> have vpopmail dynamically link against libmysql instead of statically
> linking it.
GCC by default will link dynamically if provided a dynamic library. In
my setup /usr/lib contains the .so filess for libmysqlclient, and
/usr/lib/mysql contains the .a files. configure picked up /usr/lib/mysql
rather than /usr/lib. Forcing /usr/lib with --enable-libdir=/usr/lib
also caused four or five more libraries to be dynamic, and when stripped
the binary ended up roughly 1/6th the size of what I was running.

> Do you know how static vs. dynamic linking is controlled?  I think it's
> a much better idea to make it dynamic, especially if you think about
> admins upgrading MySQL -- vpopmail will continue to use the old,
> statically linked code.
>
> While we're at it, we should have libvpopmail dynamically linked as
> well.  This would require opening up the permissions on the
> ~vpopmail/lib directory, but that isn't a problem now that MySQL
> passwords are stored in a separate file.
This is also a big plus. It'll reduce the footprint of apps like courier
which are long running.

> --
> Tom Collins  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> QmailAdmin: http://qmailadmin.sf.net/  Vpopmail: http://vpopmail.sf.net/