davila wrote:
1) Destroy all spammers and take back our network
2) Write a small proxy listener that I can connect to and forward the
traffic to my smtp server.
3) Continue being happy using my sqwebmail install when I am out a lovely
little cafes
Of the possible solutions 3 seems to be the easiest, 2 will be the one that I will probably do and 1 seems like the funnest.
Sorry for the noise and thanks for the help. I guess you learn something everyday. I've got to get back to work.

Actually, 1 is the best, if you can figure out how to do it. Hopefully something that gives them as much grief in their last few minutes of life as they have spread to the rest of the world!

2 isn't as hard as it seems at first. Just start a second instance of SMTP on a different port, and configure your mail client to send to that port. I used 24, and am able to slip mail out past my ISP that is also blocking port 25. (Which is a good idea IMHO. It stops all the mail servers that are built into the latest viruses.)

Just copy your SMTP run script into a new directory, (possibly in /var/qmail/supervise) change 25 to 24 and link it to /services. It will still respect your settings for things like roaming users as long as you only change the port.

Then there is #4, find out what outgoing mail server they are using, and point your mail client at it. The problem is you may have to change your outgoing mail settings a lot. I've recommended this to my clients for a long time. I have web hosting and incoming mail, but my clients access the internet through someone else. I have them point pop/imap at my server, and SMTP at their ISP's server.

Rick