Hi Jeff,

At 13:53 27.02.04 -0500, Jeff Koch wrote:
>Does anybody have any suggestion for improving the performance of a
>mailserver runnning qmail/vpopmail/qmailadmin/qmail-scanner/spamassassin?
>We're using a 2.4Ghz P4 with 1GB RAM and a 40GB SCSI drive. The operating
>system is a basic RH8.0 install with the ext3 journalling file system.
>We're handling about 50K messages/day and seem to exhausting the
>capabilities of the server. During peak periods CPU idle time reaches 0%
>and load averages will exceed 10.0
>We've seen some recommendations (
>http://people.redhat.com/alikins/system_tuning.html , for example) for
>changing hard disk and file system parameters mostly having to do with
>read/write caching and cache sizes and minumum delays before writing to
>disk but we have been afraid to try any of these for fear of making things
>We would welcome any suggestions or URL's that you could point to -
>particularly with respect to performance tuning that will work with qmail.

As been discussed, probably you are suffering from mails to non-existing
accounts and double-bounces.

1. To get rid of the double-bounces, use Russel's "doublebouncetrim" patch.

2. To avoid processing of mail for nonexisting accounts you might want to
use my RECIPIENTS extension for qmail-smtpd. To support virtutal domains
you have to compile it without the "locals" restriction. In order to
support a domain-based adding and removal of users you have to do some
(trivial) coding. However, unlike John Levine's badrcptto (or even mine)
the Users/Recipients Database can be kept autonomous for each domain.

It would be a good start, to analyse your traffic situation in the first
place. You can use my "newanalyse" package to do that.

My SPAMCONTORL includes all necessary patches as well.

Here, you get all sources.

Dr. Erwin Hoffmann | FEHCom | http://www.fehcom.de/
Wiener Weg 8, 50858 Cologne | T: +49 221 484 4923 | F: ...24